High-Efficiency Gas Water Heaters
By heating water only when it’s needed, high-efficiency gas water heaters can cut water heating expenses — while providing continuous hot water delivery.
Get up to $400 cash back when you upgrade.
Water heating makes up 20% of your energy bill. Replace your hot water tank with a high-efficiency gas model to save money and earn cash back.
By heating water only when it’s needed, high-efficiency gas water heaters can cut your expenses while delivering an endless supply of hot water.
All upgrades must be completed by a BayREN Participating Contractor.
Learn which upgrades are right for you--and how to get the most in cash back!
How well does your home hold heating and cooling?
Get up to $400 cash back on a high-efficiency gas water heater when you work with a BayREN Participating Contractor.
Energy ratings (UEF — or Uniform Energy Factor) indicate how efficient the equipment is. The more efficient your equipment, the more energy you save and the lower your water heating costs will be.
See which upgrades qualify and how much you can earn, based on the energy efficiency of your new equipment:
High-Efficiency Gas Water Heater Upgrade
High-Efficiency Gas Water Heater
High-efficiency storage gas water heater medium usage ≥ 0.64 UEF
High usage ≥ 0.68 UEF Instantaneous water heater ≥ 0.87 UEF (must replace existing gas storage water heater)
Combustion Appliance Safety (CAS) test-out
CAS test-out required for all measures. Not available as a standalone rebate. Only one per service address.
|$150 bonus rebate|
- Rebates are available on a first-come, first-served basis and available for qualifying Bay Area residents with homes built in 2016 or earlier
- Customers who receive only one, electric or gas, service from PG&E can apply for measures that correspond to the services received
- Customers must complete eligible improvements with a BayREN Participating Contractor in order to receive a rebate (except for electrification appliance measures)
- Rebates are capped at $7,750 per eligible customer. Individual measure rebates may not exceed the measure cost
- Customer must not have previously received a rebate for the same product or equipment from more than one energy-efficiency program offering rebates, financing or other rebates funded with PG&E ratepayer dollars within the past three years for O&M measures and eight years for building shell, HVAC and water heating measures
- Customers may not exceed the $7,750 cap over an eight-year period
Your BayREN Participating Contractor will assist you through the rebate process to make sure you get the best price on your projects.
To get started, contact your Home Energy Advisor for information about qualifying projects. Then hire a BayREN Participating Contractor and get your project started!
Your BayREN contractor will work with you to determine the scope and budget of your project. They will be able to tell you which rebates your project qualifies for.
Your contractor will create documentation of your project before and after it is completed. Once the project is completed, the contractor will submit program documentation to BayREN on your behalf.
After your documentation has been submitted, you can track the progress of your rebate online.
Contact a Home Energy Advisor to learn more about home heating and cooling projects and rebates.
Have you chosen your project? Find a BayREN Participating Contractor in your area.
Go electric. Heat pump water heaters are up to four times more efficient than standard models — for big energy bill savings, plus up to $1,000 cash back.
Replace your conventional gas dryer with a high-efficiency heat pump dryer and watch your energy use tumble — by at least 28%.